IR is not the part of Prelims but random 1 or 2 questions may appear about Current affairs, International Events, Summits, Geography, Indo-Pak, India-China, India-US relations etc
IR is Very Important in :
General Studies Paper - 2
Strategy to Approach IR:
Historic and Phase Based
- Post-Indian Independence
- After wars with Pakistan and China in 1960s
- First Atomic Bomb test and Indira Gandhi Era
- Cold War
- Fall of USSR and LPG reforms in 1991.
- During 2000 AD
- Post 9/11 attack
India with the Neighbours and World:
India and Economically powerful nations (USA, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, Japan, S.Africa, Brazil, UAE etc)
India and the Regions ( USA, Latin America, Europe, Africa, Middle East, Central Asia etc)
India and the big UNSC members (USA, China, France, Russia and UK )
India and Organizations (SAARC, BRICS, UN, ASEAN, G20, GCC, EU, IMF, World Bank etc.)
- India's Involvement : e.g. Bilateral visits of Presidents and prime ministers, India at summits etc
- India's Indirect Involvement : e.g. US-China, EU crisis, NATO in Afghanistan etc
How to Prepair for this part:
- Bilateral visits ( What trade-pacts or treaties were signed. When PM of Pakistan /Bangladesh/Sri Lanka visits India and discusses something related to border or river dispute or Signs or agreement – that part is important.)
- All important international events in which India was Involved.
- Diospora? OCI, PIO, NRI, Citizenship issues.
Based on current events. e.g.
- Crisis for Indian Workers in USA, Middle east, Libya, Sudan etc.
- Government's Initiatives for the protection and welfare of Indian workers abroad.
- Current happenings
-Read newspapers daily,
-Read Columns related to International relations. -for Essay part International affairs prepare Facts and figures