Acharya Dev Vrat was sworn in as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh at oath taking ceremony held in Raj Bhawan, Shimla. He is 27th Governor and 18th regular Governor of the Himachal Pradesh,since it was granted full statehood in 1971. Vrat took his oath of office in Sanskrit and it was administered by Chief Justice of the Himachal High Court, Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir as per provisions of Article 159 of Constitution.
About Acharya Dev Vrat
- Acharya Dev Vrat is an eminent educationist and hails from Haryana. He was born on 18 January 1959.
- He holds double post-graduate in History and Hindi from the Punjab and Kurukshetra University, respectively. He also has studied Naturopathy and Yogic Science.
- He has served as Principal (Pracharya) in Samprati Gurukul, Kurukshetra for 34 years and had been actively involved in social activities including girl’s education, promotion of Yoga, Ayurveda and naturopathy and environment protection.
- He has also authored several books including Gurukul Kurukshetra ka Gauravshali Itihaas, Swasthya ka Anmol Marg – Prakritik Chikitsa (Hindi and English editions) besides, editing various magazines and translation works.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
- Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state of India. 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 had facilitated the appointment of the same person as a Governor for two or more states.
- Article 156: Governor is appointed by President and hold office during the pleasure of President. It should be also noted that this article also mentions tenure of Governor.
- In this regard it says that Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from date he enters upon his office but usually it depends upon pleasure of President.